Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Killing Time

I'm proctoring an exam at the moment, so I thought I'd take some time to gush lavish praise at my fellow classmates. Hardly a stranger to fashionistas (or those who confess to an open fascination for fashion), I can attest to what I see as a general trend among them toward creativity, sensibility, sophistication, and an open-mindedness and frankness not ususally evident in those involved in other areas. Somehow, fashionistas have always been simultaneously alluring and intimidating to me, because they are often, on top of embodying these general trends, tend to be well put together and physically attractive. I may be riffing off of hackneyed stereotypes here, but reading through the thoughtful responses, and following the fascinating links that cover a wide scope of pertinent ideas has only confirmed my intuitions. While I'm not so sure about myself, I predict remarkable work from you all post-graduation.


I really like Jeanne's movies, clearly the brainchildren of somebody whose vantage point, and I hope she admits to this, is radically against conventionality. The art on jeannejo.com draws influence from the creative energy of the New York and East Coast avant-garde, and I'm entertained thinking how living in Los Angeles, in many ways a counterpoint to the creative community Back East, has influenced her art and mind. I also want to hear about and read
The Wrong Side of Reno, which chronicles punk and hardcore movements in her native Northern Nevada. (Did you meet Ian McKaye while working on that project? He's an idol of mine. Henry Rollins? He's a riot!) I also detect from you someone who could speak authoritatively on the intersection of feminism and art. I hope you might share some of this on the blog.


Marika. I'm really impressed but frankly not surprised by your posts, a delightful mix of personality and a keen, informed sense of the fashion-beauty industry. I tend to gloss over long posts by people in graduate classes who clearly want to use the class blog/discussion board as forum to brag, unconcerned for their readers, but yours I look forward to in anticipation because I know how thoughtful and informative they will be, without the expected pretension. Should you work in the industry, it will be blessed and benefited from your intelligence.


Sangeeta's responses I've enjoyed reading too, because she typically draws from her experience as a native of India, a culture I know little about outside of Satyajit Ray films. While the world has become exponentially closer these past decades, India seems strongly rooted in its past. And as I have said to you before, I rarely meet an Indian in America who is ashamed of being from India, am I right? How very Texan! At times blunt and wickedly funny, Sangeeta, your personality always shines through, and it's a infectious personality. This goes for both Marika and Sangeeta, but I was raised never to use the first person as it supposedly detracts from the authority of critical writing. Well, I'm about to say "F--- that!" in part because I see how well you convey your ideas when taking up the first person.


Finally, my perception of how Nadine's mind operates has always been alluring. I admire your writing and your analysis. It's so calm and composed, rational and temperate, and is informed by a strong core of beliefs and values. Further, you have an interest area, and have had one since coming here, and are seeing how it figures into what you glean from classes. Also, I'm a moocher, Nadine. I'll confess to using your essays to help me understand the dense readings in this class. The scholarly work you pursue, be it on fashion or travelogues or anything, will probably prove incredible and valuable in the largely undervalued academy.


I didn't forget you, Diego, but I still am not sold on psychoanalysis. :-) Believe me, if ever there was someone who could sell it for me, it would be you. Having been on psychiatric medications for ten years for bipolar disorder, I've been inculcated to paying respect the biological theories of the disease, and they seem rather convincing to me. May I recommend
Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families by Francis Mark Mondimore, MD. The scientific evidence behind a case for a biological predeterminancy for mental illness is exhaustive, and the book presents it quite clearly. But I do need to mull over your last post on psychopharmacology, and I will present a thoughtful response to it soon.

Okay, exam time is up. I wish everyone a nice Spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment