Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Closeted Pleasures

Because I've sworn off shopping (and the withdrawal syndromes are painful), I thought I'd try to enjoy what I already have and share some of my home storage solutions for accessories and clothes. My room is tiny and space is limited, so I had to come up with these options, aided by Target and several cans of black spray paint.

To the left, my rainbow color-coded hanger system to differentiate my largely black wardrobe.










My increasingly stuffed closet...





....my innovation for organizing headbands: two shower rods from Target wedged between a bookshelf = display bar








An example of what you can do with black lacquer spray-paint I got these jewelry stands from Urban Outfitters, and originally, they were white iron, but I got spray-happy and darkened them to match the baroque/gothic theme I have going.







Ditto the Target shoe racks that were a grimly functional white before I sprayed them. I firmly believe that a generous application of high-gloss black paint adds instant cool to just about anything: even mundane or ordinary finds (chairs, figurines, picture frames) get a neo-Victorian injection of awesome, and it's a budget-friendly way to repatriate found or thrift shop items.

I would love to see some of your closets or storage methods, if anyone wants to share. Meanwhile, I have to keep my hands off my debit card.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god, my parents should have just taken me to your room to play with your shoe collection instead of Disney World when I was 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That silver alligator is so cute. Where did you get that nifty shoe rack? My shoes are all over the floor because the built-in shoe cabinet in the apartment I live in is ridiculously designed. Its so narrow you cant put sandals side-by-side, forget about sneakers.
    As it is, my clothes are divided between a tiny closet in L.A. and a larger stuffed one back Singapore.
    My packing styles vary between haphazard and obsessive. I have a clothes bin from Ikea stuffed with ugly things I dont ever wear, and a storage shelf crammed with the cotton materials which dont get crumpled. Dance and atheletic clothes are crammed in the lowermost shelf. New stuff or jersey material gets pride of place on the few wooded hangars I have from Ikea. And lastly I put vintage before the 1970s in ziplock bags for fear mildew and humidity will get to them in damp Singapore. I wonder if we all "hierarchise" our wadrobes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we totally have closet hierarchies in place, rooted in a combination of affect, pride/status, and pragmatism. I love that alligator!--he's from Ross, for like, $6, and the shoe racks are $10 at Target.

    ReplyDelete