Monday, February 14, 2011

"Where black people and white people buy furniture"

It's received plenty of hits on You Tube already, but I thought I'd relay this commercial from a North Carolina furniture store that fits nicely into Tara's talk on an additive model of racism:


I've discussed this clip with many of my friends at school and on Facebook, and many (Black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male, female, etc.) find it terribly upsetting, regressive, and highly objectionable--particularly friends who are left leaning in their politics. As a *product* of the white South (to use consumerist language), I found it particularly resonant (and funny) because I was raised in this type of black and white, them and us, naive mindset (that has not served my academic career in any beneficial way I can think of so far so I'll spare you further details). What a furniture store (and is there anything more stereotypically working class than a furniture store??) in North Carolina considers progressive advertising is endearing and commendable. For the left to turn their collective noses up at this clip makes me realize why our country is so ideologically divided. When these working class guys, presenting themselves as interested in society's collective good, are a met with scorn and contempt, it's troublingly telling of these times.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment