Sunday, February 6, 2011

A letter by Josef von Sternberg

Since Gaylyn Studler evokes director Josef von Sternberg in her piece, I thought I'd post a letter I found in the Herrick Library written later in his life that certainly suggests a masochistic impulse. This is not a letter you'll likely find in anyone's writing on him, at least not what I've read, so consider this an exclusive. I've highlighted the parts I find particularly telling in relation to masochism. It reads:

Dear Greta,

Well you do seem to have your hands full. It’s not too pleasant to hear that Paul is not working and that you are contemplating the sale of your house. I dislike disturbing the surface of this paper with convenient words of comfort, but I faced all this and more, and it is not at all unhealthy. To do battle for existence is good, and I’m certain you and Paul will find better values in that context than in any other. I wish I had work for Paul. He is a first-rate craftsman and the most reliable and thorough friend and helper. As it is, I have a long pull ahead. I’ve started to build a house here and will try and battle it out in a stimulating environment. Where it will take me, I don’t know, but I feel better and more so than I’ve ever been, and am enjoying the problems that are leaping up before me. Take care of yourself and give my love to Paul and I hope the [?] of a few meaningless comforts will help to relax both of you. Don’t be so long between letters.

With seasonal greetings and affection,

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment